Graduate students may be committed to a career in academia following graduation, or if the job market in a discipline is particularly tight, a job search can be broadened beyond academia.
If the job market in your discipline is particularly tight, you may wish to broaden your job search beyond academia. Here are some steps to consider:
- Schedule an appointment with an experienced career counselor to discuss your job search.
- Attend any Career Services workshops scheduled each semester, especially those geared toward graduate students. See our "Events" calendar for details.
- Pick up a free copy of the Rutgers Career Services Guide. It contains information on resumes and interviewing.
- Attend one or more career days to meet employers, submit resumes, and discuss job opportunities.
- Visit company and job listing websites. Also, see our Career & Job Websites section under "Quick Links."
- Utilize key online resources, available through links on the Career Services home page:
--CareerShift - job listings and managing your job search
--Going Global - comprehensive country profiles
--Vault - insightful industry and company profiles
--InterviewStream - hone your interview skills
--Liberal Arts Jobs - listings for arts and humanities students